The state of Connecticut legalized medical cannabis in 2012 and legalized adult-use cannabis on June 22, 2021, which provided a legal way for both qualifying patients and adults age 21 years and older in the state to access and utilize cannabis. Access to cannabis is through state licensed businesses that are allowed to grow, manufacture and sell medical cannabis.
When To Apply
CONNECTICUT CANNABIS BUSINESSES
- Growing Producer: Grows cannabis for medicinal use. No additional licenses for producers will be issued at this time. Producers interested in growing cannabis for adult-use may apply to convert their license to an expanded producer license.
- Cultivator: Grows cannabis for medical and adult use. At least 15,000 square feet of grow space is required for this license type.
- Micro-cultivator: Grows cannabis for medical and adult use. Between 2,000 and 10,000 square feet of grow space, prior to any expansion authorized by the commissioner.
- Product manufacturer: Performs cannabis extraction, chemical synthesis and permitted manufacturing activities.
- Food and beverage: Incorporate cannabis into food or beverage intended for human consumption.
- Product packager: Labels and packages cannabis in compliance with state statutes, regulations and policies.
- Retailer: Sells cannabis only to consumers for adult-use.
- Hybrid retailer: Sells cannabis to consumers for adult-use and to qualifying patients and caregivers for medical use.
- Dispensary facility: Sells cannabis only to qualifying patients and caregivers for medical use. No additional dispensary facility licenses will be issued at this time. Existing dispensary facilities may apply to convert their license to a hybrid retail license to allow for the sale of both adult-use and medical marijuana.
HOW TO START A MARIJUANA BUSINESS IN CONNECTICUT
To operate a marijuana business in Connecticut, you will need the following plans:
- Security Plan
- Environmental Impact Plan
- Quality Control and Quality Assurance Plan
- Business Plan
- Financial Plan
- Community Benefits Plan
- Research Plan
- Cultivation, Manufacturing and/or Dispensing Plan
- Labor Compliance Plan
- Staffing and Training Plan
Schedule for a complimentary 15-min consult with our licensing/ application team to learn more about how we may be able to assist you.
CONNECTICUT MARIJUANA TIMELINE
2012 – Connecticut legalized medical cannabis.
2013 – Connecticut licensing period for cannabis businesses.
2014 – First Connecticut cannabis business opened.
2015 – Connecticut licensing period for additional dispensaries only.
2018 – More dispensary licenses awarded.
June 2021 – SB 1201 legalized Adult-Use Cannabis.
February 2022 – Adult- Use applications available.
2023 – Adult-Use sales expected to begin.
"Cannabis Business Advisors is a world-class company. Their tactical and strategic knowledge will guide any business to success. CB Advisors' advice and counsel played a key role in making Strive Life the only locally awarded dispensary in North Dakota."Dispensary Owner, Strive Life Grand Forks
"SARA’S SUCCESS SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. OUR COMPANY CONTINUES TO ENGAGE SARA FOR ONGOING CONSULTING AND HER ADVICE REMAINS SOLID AND RELEVANT TO OUR GROWTH."Owner, Firefly Dispensaries in Pennsylvania.
"WORKING WITH SARA WAS A PLEASURE. WE DON’T KNOW HOW WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THROUGH THE APPLICATION PROCESS WITHOUT HER."Arizona Vertically Integrated Facility Owner
"Sara reduced much of the management team’s stress by her knowledge, execution, resolving conflicts, and firm but confident approach."Chairman, Solevo Wellness
"Sara’s success speaks for itself. Our company continues to engage Sara for ongoing consulting and her advice remains solid and relevant to our growth."Owner, Firefly Dispensaries in Pennsylvania.
"Working with Sara was a pleasure. We don’t know how we would have gotten through the application process without her."Arizona Vertically Integrated Facility Owner