WASHINGTON D.C. RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA BUSINESS LICENSES
Washington D.C. legalized adult-use marijuana in 2014. The voter initiative became effective in February 2015. While adult-use marijuana is legal in Washington D.C., there is no regulatory framework in place to allow for recreational sales.
WASHINGTON D.C. MEDICAL MARIJUANA BUSINESS LICENSES
There are no caps on licenses allowed, however, D.C. will only be accepting applications for licenses during allocated timeframe, described below. Application will be checklist based and license will be issued as long as applicant is compliant.
Cultivation Center – means an establishment that is licensed to grow and distribute cannabis to retailers registered in DC for medical purposes. There are currently 8 licensed Cultivators in D.C., of the 8, only 5 are operational. There are 6 Cultivation Tiers:
- Tier 1 = Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 0 sq ft but no more than 10,000 sq ft
- Tier 2 = Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 10,000 sq ft but no more than 25,000 sq ft
- Tier 3 = Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 25,000 sq ft but no more than 50,000 sq ft
- Tier 4 = Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 50,000 sq ft but no more than 75,000 sq ft
- Tier 5 = Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 75,000 sq ft but no more than 100,000 sq ft
- Tier 6 = Mature cannabis plant grow canopy area greater than 100,000 sq ft
Manufacturer – means a facility operated by an organization or business licensed with ABCA to: 1) Process medical cannabis from cultivation centers into medical cannabis concentrates and medical cannabis-infused products; 2) Package and label medical cannabis concentrates and medical cannabis-infused products for dispensing at licensed retailers and internet retailers; and 3) Sell medical cannabis concentrates and medical cannabis-infused products at wholesale to licensed retailers and internet retailers. There are two types of manufacturers: Type 1) Infusing Only; and Type 2) Extraction and Infusion.
Retailer – means a facility operated by an organization or business licensed with ABCA from or at which medical cannabis is possessed and dispensed, and paraphernalia is possessed and distributed to a qualifying patient or a caregiver. There are currently 7 licensed Retailers, all retailers are operational.
- Education tasting endorsement – the holder of a retailer license shall be eligible to apply to the ABC Board for an education tasting endorsement. The holder of an education tasting endorsement shall be permitted to offer cooking and how-to classes and demonstrations, and tastings for educational purposes to qualifying patients and caregivers on-site. Activities offered by a retailer under an education tasting endorsement shall be permitted to occur on the premises of the retailer; except, that educational activities that include the smoking of medical cannabis by qualifying patients shall only occur in an ABC Board-approved safe-use treatment facility.
Internet Retailer – means a platform or business that is licensed to conduct business in the District, provides delivery services, and facilitates the sale of medical cannabis or medical cannabis products for deliveries to qualifying patients or caregivers through the use of the internet, a mobile application, or similar technology platform; and that does not have a physical location that is open to the public.
Courier License – means a platform or business that:
- Has a contractual relationship with a holder of a medical cannabis retailer license or internet retailer license to provide delivery services or facilitate the sale of medical cannabis or medical cannabis products for deliveries in the District to qualifying patients or caregivers through the use of the internet, a mobile application, or a similar technology platform; and
- Uses its own employees or independent contractors.
- NOTE: Couriers will serve as same day delivery only, if delivery is unsuccessful all inventory must be returned to provider.
Testing Laboratory – means an entity that is not owned or operated by a director, officer, member, incorporator, agent, or employee of a cultivation center, manufacturer, retailer, internet retailer, courier, or other license category established by rulemaking and is licensed by ABCA to test medical cannabis and medical cannabis products that are to be sold pursuant to this act.
HOW TO START A MARIJUANA BUSINESS IN WASHINGTON D.C.
To obtain a marijuana business license in Washington D.C., you will be required to submit an application. As part of the application, some of the plans you will need to include the following:
- Security Plan.
- Environmental Impact Plan.
- Quality Control and Quality Assurance Plan.
- Business History Plan.
- Financial Plan.
- Community Benefits Plan.
- Research Plan.
- Cultivation, Manufacturing and/or Dispensing Plan.
- Labor Compliance Plan.
- Staffing and Training Plan.
Schedule for a complimentary 15-min consult with our licensing/application team to learn more about how we may be able to assist you.
"Cannabis Business Advisors is a world-class company. Their tactical and strategic knowledge will guide any business to success. CB Advisors' advice and counsel played a key role in making Strive Life the only locally awarded dispensary in North Dakota."Dispensary Owner, Strive Life Grand Forks
"SARA’S SUCCESS SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. OUR COMPANY CONTINUES TO ENGAGE SARA FOR ONGOING CONSULTING AND HER ADVICE REMAINS SOLID AND RELEVANT TO OUR GROWTH."Owner, Firefly Dispensaries in Pennsylvania.
"WORKING WITH SARA WAS A PLEASURE. WE DON’T KNOW HOW WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THROUGH THE APPLICATION PROCESS WITHOUT HER."Arizona Vertically Integrated Facility Owner
"Sara reduced much of the management team’s stress by her knowledge, execution, resolving conflicts, and firm but confident approach."Chairman, Solevo Wellness
"Sara’s success speaks for itself. Our company continues to engage Sara for ongoing consulting and her advice remains solid and relevant to our growth."Owner, Firefly Dispensaries in Pennsylvania.
"Working with Sara was a pleasure. We don’t know how we would have gotten through the application process without her."Arizona Vertically Integrated Facility Owner